The ENT specialist is the medical and surgical physician who treats diseases of the upper airways, ear, nose, throat and larynx (vocal cords).
We should see an ENT specialist when we observe any discomfort in our nose, larynx, pharynx or ear that prevents us from carrying out our everyday activities normally.
Breathing, swallowing, talking, etc. have a direct effect on people’s daily life and on their social relationships, and our quality of life depends on these functions.
The ENT specialist will gather information about our condition (family and personal background, onset date of the discomfort, a description of it…) and will be able to put us on treatment and undertake diagnostic tests if necessary.
We must see an ENT specialist in the following cases:
- Ear: buzzing, constant pain, loss of hearing…
- Nose: impaired breathing, constant congestion, nosebleeds…
- Throat and neck: sore throat, swallowing problems, voice disorders…
- Sensation of instability and spinning sensation
We can suffer any type of hearing, smell or taste disorder at any age, although when we reach old age, an annual check-up is recommended because loss of hearing, breathing difficulties and the appearance of tumours are more frequent.
A fibroendoscopy consists of introducing an endoscope (a fibre-optic tube with a high-resolution camera on one end, powered by cold light) through the nostrils or the mouth in order to slowly observe the upper airways, the inside of the nose and the paranasal sinuses, cavum, larynx and pharynx.
It is a fundamental test in a proper inspection that requires no prior preparation and is performed in the specialist’s office.
It is painless, although in the event of discomfort, local anaesthesia can be applied to eliminate this sensation in the area.
It has multiple indications. By way of example:
- Discomfort in the nose, larynx, pharynx or throat with no apparent explanation and over a long period of time.
- Presence of cysts or polyps
- Permanent sinusitis
- Hoarseness and affectation of the vocal cords
- Loss of voice or dysphonia
- Suspected existence of foreign bodies
- Nose breathing problems, either obstructive or due to a deviated septum.
- Smokers and passive smokers: review of the larynx and upper airways by way of prevention of problems in the vocal cords or serious diseases and tumours. A review is recommended every 8-10 months.
What does it include?
- An appointment with the ENT specialist
- Clinical history
- Other complementary tests
- Purchasing this service guarantees the quality care of the Centro Médico Vila Olímpica.
- Once you have purchased the service, no further payment will be necessary.
- You will receive an email with all the details of the reservation and you can make an appointment either by calling the centre.
- You are advised to make an appointment as soon as possible in order to get the most convenient date.
- If the specialist ultimately considers that the treatment is not convenient for you, the amount will be refunded to you, except for the doctor’s appointment fee. The refund will be made by means of a transfer to the account number and beneficiary indicated by you.
- If you wish to cancel the service, you will receive a refund of the amount you paid minus 2% by way of expenses if you cancel up to 24 hours before the appointment. You should send an email to email@example.com stating the reasons for cancelling, the bank account number for payment and the account holder’s name. If the cancellation is requested on the day of the appointment, 10% of the amount you paid will be deducted by way of expenses.
- If for reasons of force majeure the Centro Médico Vila Olímpica cannot offer you the service on the day of your appointment, you will be offered a change of date or a full refund of any amount you paid up front.
- Payment will be made by means of credit/debit card online through the Banco Santander.
- Remember that you have 2 months to use the service.